Thursday, 21 February 2013

NHS Fail

I'm not one to complain about the NHS, i'm truly grateful for everything they have done for me. I dred to think how anyone in other countries would get through what i have, in some countries simply because of the cost.

So although i do feel my rant makes me look and feel abit spoilt i also feels it's a bit necessary. But saying that most rants from people in the first world makes us look spoilt, in hindsight... (obviously having some sort of philosophical, humanitarian break down/through)

Annnywaaaaay....

I have been having pain in my tummy for months now, and after numerous doctors visits i have a scan booked. I expected the scan to be the following week, especially since the doctor knew how much constant pain im in.

Letter came through for 4 weeks ahead of time... at first i thought oki we'll see how it goes, but the pains got to a point that if i'm sat in my chair longer than 2/3 hours, i can't catch my breath.

So my moma phoned to get us an earlier appointment, the response being

We can't offer you an earlier appointment because we need to bring in a hoist and have a nurse trained to use one and a 45 minute opening.

Sooo...

1. I get the extra time and i think this is really sensible *high five

2. Why do they need to bring a hoist to the hospital, surely a hospital is the one place you can except to have a hoist... it makes no sense!

and

3. Why do they need trained nurses, i mean surely hoist training is something that is or should be part of being a nurse. I mean if someone fell, needed hoisting but there was no trained nurses around would the patient just have to wait on the floor?

It just seems a bit backwards to me.

Is this normal ? or do i have a odd hospital ? or is it a ward thing ?

Two weeks more of pain before i even have the scan :(

3 comments:

  1. As I spend most days in hospital...that's odd. You do however find most hoists on the wards, and they aren't as common in the imaging departments unfortunately.

    Also, I'm pretty certain that all healthcare staff have training in manual handling...which involves being trained how to use hoists (I certainly did). So healthcare assistants as well as nurses are trained to use them...and their are hundreds of them in hospitals!

    I hope you feel better soon lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I can think of is that the radiographer/ sonographer who will be doing the scan doesn't have manual handling training, which they do have at my hospital. So they'd need to bring in a trained nurse who does have one? I'd also think they'd have a hoist in the department. Hope it all gets sorted for you lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds awful :( The NHS can be very concerned with the 'red tape' at times I find, sometimes at the patient's expense unfortunately. Really hope you get it sorted soon x

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou :)
I tend to always comment back here, so pop back for a replay =D
Love & Kisses